Treasury and Finance Circular DFSI-2015-06-NSW Government Operational Communications Strategy sets out a series of measures that will guide agencies into planning their investment activities so that they are in accordance with the overall direction of the sector unless exempt.
What types of expenditure do the new arrangements apply to?
Where a proposal involves significant expenditure, it will be considered under the coordinated planning arrangements established for the sector. Telco Authority approval is required before it can be considered by the Expenditure Review Committee. Telco Authority approval will also be required for:
- Any significant expenditure (over $500,000) on new radio communications assets and commercial services
- For new sites or new towers on a site, regardless of cost
This requirement does not apply to immediate requirements that would impede the execution of a current or imminent operation by law enforcement and emergency services agencies.
The new requirements apply to me, what do I need to do?
Often, new radio communications projects are complex in nature and require a lot of planning before any work is actually undertaken. Ideally, you should start engaging with us early in the planning process. We can help you plan your project, identify opportunities to leverage services or equipment and provide you with advice on how to ultimately obtain approval for any new expenditure.
When you are ready to apply, the application process you will use is dependent on the type of approval you are seeking. The various application types are as follows:
- Application for Telco Authority approval of an expenditure proposal prior to submission to the Expenditure Review Committee
- Application for a new site, tower or asset
- Application for a new commercial service
- Application for an exemption from ITS 2573
- Application for a review of Telco Authority decision (dispute resolution application)